• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greatest 3A Teams of All Time?

Started by ZoneBuster, March 12, 2015, 07:37:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoneBuster

With ECS recent domination, it has brought to mind of how this squad would rank with some of the all time best 3A teams.

So, let's discuss! Limit it to teams only in 3A right now since teams have went up and down over the years.

WPWells

Are we talking about best dynasty or best single team? And is this any team in an equivalent class or any team in the current 3A?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 12, 2015, 07:38:59 pm
Are we talking about best dynasty or best single team? And is this any team in an equivalent class or any team in the current 3A?

Quote from: ZoneBuster on March 12, 2015, 07:37:30 pm
With ECS recent domination, it has brought to mind of how this squad would rank with some of the all time best 3A teams.

So, let's discuss! Limit it to teams only in 3A right now since teams have went up and down over the years.

WPWells

neds

I think we need some grey hair like Radiotalker to give us some history on older great teams. In the last 5 yrs I would call this years winner the best.

ZoneBuster

Let's do single season teams. Yes, it may take some of our elder statesmen to really shed light on the topic!

Head Lion

PA & Epc with Monk were pretty tough. I couldn't  see ECS handling Marcus & PJ Lacey in hi school. Nettleton with Jerry Rook in early 60s was AA when there were 3 divisions, way before my time. Coach Rook averaged 37 a game his Sr year. From NEA in late 80s, Fred Shepherd led Marked Tree to back to back titles, I believe. Best small school I ever saw was Overall Champ Class B Parkdale with Ronald Clairborne, think he went to SE La(La-Lafeyette) & led NCAA Div 1 in scoring. He was in range when he got to the county line & did all his with no 3 pt line.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Head Lion on March 12, 2015, 08:06:14 pm
PA & Epc with Monk were pretty tough. I couldn't  see ECS handling Marcus & PJ Lacey in hi school. Nettleton with Jerry Rook in early 60s was AA when there were 3 divisions, way before my time. Coach Rook averaged 37 a game his Sr year. From NEA in late 80s, Fred Shepherd led Marked Tree to back to back titles, I believe. Best small school I ever saw was Overall Champ Class B Parkdale with Ronald Clairborne, think he went to SE La(La-Lafeyette) & led NCAA Div 1 in scoring. He was in range when he got to the county line & did all his with no 3 pt line.
I was gonna with PA and EPC too, but he said current 3A. I think MT with Shepherd were just A at the time but could be wrong. PA won 50 plus games in a row before Monk and company beat them by 30. That conference was loaded that year EPC, Gosnell, Osceola and Rivercrest were all loaded and if not for PA beating Rivercrest to make the semis all 4 teams would have made up the semis that year.

Head Lion

Bdub, prolly right about MT or maybe AA. The 2nd & 3 quarters EPC played against PA at Ozark, they could have beaten Jordan's Bulls teams. I mean "lights out" best a 5A team or lower could ever play.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Head Lion on March 12, 2015, 08:16:22 pm
Bdub, prolly right about MT or maybe AA. The 2nd & 3 quarters EPC played against PA at Ozark, they could have beaten Jordan's Bulls teams. I mean "lights out" best a 5A team or lower could ever play.
Best Highschool team Ive seen. Even though PA probably kept them from winning 3 in a row. Once Kyzer took over as coach they went from very good to great. won by an average of 30+ a game that year. Only loss out of state to a missouri team that was pretty highly ranked, on a technical of all things. Maybe only played 4 or so games all year that were single digits.Finished ranked second in the state behind West Memphis who was just as impressive that year with Weems. I would have liked to have seen game between those 2.

Head Lion

I will go with Keith Lee & Michael Cage West Memphis team as greatest Arkansas High School team of all time.

ZoneBuster

So 04 EPC by double digits over this year's ECS squad?

ZoneBuster

Head Lion

79,80. They had a 60 game winning streak, Lee was a year behind Cage. They finished 3rd in USA Today poll in 79 & 5th in 80. Coach Bill Tyer & GCT took them to double OT in a slow down to a crawl game in NEA. Final was like 34-32.

Head Lion

Quote from: ZoneBuster on March 12, 2015, 08:28:58 pm
So 04 EPC by double digits over this year's ECS squad?
i am far from an EPC fan, but yes without any doubt. I would lay 10 & bet all the money I could beg, borrow & steal in a "virtual game." That team was on a different level.

Radiotalker

I would have love to seen Osceola's 2000 team match with this group. Lost first game of year and then reeled off 29 straight.

Ranked #1 in ALL polls.

Head Lion

Off the thread Bdub, but thought you may want to know. Brewers will have chief scout in to watch Brady pitch Sunday. They are telling him, they would like to take him in rounds 3-8.

Head Lion

Quote from: Radiotalker on March 12, 2015, 08:40:48 pm
I would have love to seen Osceola's 2000 team match with this group. Lost first game of year and then reeled off 29 straight.

Ranked #1 in ALL polls.
Radio, what was the real good group in 70s, 77-78?

Radiotalker

Quote from: Head Lion on March 12, 2015, 08:43:23 pm
Quote from: Radiotalker on March 12, 2015, 08:40:48 pm

Ranked #1 in ALL polls.
Radio, what was the real good group in 70s, 77-78?

The 77 team defeated Morrilton in old fieldhouse  in Jonesboro  to win their 1st title and lost to US Reed and Pine Bluff in the overall finals.

Head Lion

Yep, I was 12 & at the game in Overall at UCA

smallybells

My memory doesnt go back near as far as some of yours but Perryville had a pretty good team in the 94-95 season. They ended up 31-2 overall I believe. That team had Keith Carter on it, at the time he was the first player to get a full D-1 athletic scholarship in school history, may still be the only one, not sure. He went on to be a great player for Ole Miss for 4 years and then spent a number of years playing in Europe. Thats about all I got from here  :)

neds

I think it is a tremendous compliment for Episcopal to even be in this conversation

Radiotalker

Quote from: neds on March 12, 2015, 09:03:03 pm
I think it is a tremendous compliment for Episcopal to even be in this conversation

Wish they still had the overall. Think this team might win it.

ZoneBuster

I love these discussions. I find it interesting how some years there can be a team that totally dominates, like ECS, but they would still falter compared to past great teams. Also shows there are several "down years" for the entire state.

ZoneBuster

Yes. The overall state championship would be wonderful. A true state champion is awesome to crown.

Head Lion

Quote from: Radiotalker on March 12, 2015, 09:07:08 pm

Jonesboro Hurricane would had it to them!

Radiotalker

Quote from: Head Lion on March 12, 2015, 09:09:54 pm
Quote from: Radiotalker on March 12, 2015, 09:07:08 pm

Jonesboro Hurricane would had it to them!

You may be right, but it would be a fun one to watch.

Lrbasketballguru

March 12, 2015, 09:13:05 pm #27 Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:40:20 am by Lrbasketballguru
Someone describe Marcus Monk to me in high school basketball.How good are talking? Is he a Kevaughn Allen (big name, top 50 in his class), or a Malik Monk (huge name, top 5-10 in his class). IMO I think Kevaughn is just as good as Monk.

Ctucker

Lrbasketballguru

Head Lion

I miss the overall, 2 greatest games I ever saw was in overall. Keith Lee's Sr year they were down 7 with 1:07 left, tied it with 1 second & got an and 1 & made the free throw. This was without a 3 pt line. They beat Dennis Nutt led LR Central. The other was when Claiborne & Parkdale beat Marmaduke who was led by McDonalds All-American 6'9" Scott Horrell, believe Claiborne had 43 & Parkdale won by 3.

Ctucker

Sorry read that wrong I think Marcus was not real maybe top 100

neds

It would be a tremendous game Headlion , two very well coached teams. ECS is unique, they have guards who could play head to head with anyone and the Geese underneath to get all the second chances. Their issue would be depth if the other team got into their bench.
No doubt in my mind that head to head they could beat anyone in the state.

Radiotalker

Quote from: Head Lion on March 12, 2015, 09:15:35 pm
I miss the overall, 2 greatest games I ever saw was in overall. Keith Lee's Sr year they were down 7 with 1:07 left, tied it with 1 second & got an and 1 & made the free throw. This was without a 3 pt line. They beat Dennis Nutt led LR Central. The other was when Claiborne & Parkdale beat Marmaduke who was led by McDonalds All-American 6'9" Scott Horrell, believe Claiborne had 43 & Parkdale won by 3.

That Parkdale team was a Class B school. Do they even exist today?

Lrbasketballguru

March 12, 2015, 09:21:18 pm #34 Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:28:17 pm by Lrbasketballguru
NOTE: I am not saying ECS would play 2004 EPC anywhere near close or beat them, but they've played against some stout players before, such as Allen and Beard, but that was more of a talent thing. If that duo could've developed more chemistry, it'd be a completely different ballgame.

Head Lion

Parkdale is closed, I promise he made 7-8 shots that night 25-30 feet.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Radiotalker on March 12, 2015, 09:19:33 pm
Quote from: Head Lion on March 12, 2015, 09:15:35 pm

That Parkdale team was a Class B school. Do they even exist today?

Nope...Closed in '91

FlippinHog

Quote from: Head Lion on March 12, 2015, 08:27:15 pm
I will go with Keith Lee & Michael Cage West Memphis team as greatest Arkansas High School team of all time.

My first thought as well.  Scary, dominant team.

WPWells

I've researched Parkdale. My dad talked about watching them in that. They consolidated with Hamburg

Head Lion

Quote from: FlippinHog on March 12, 2015, 09:27:18 pm

All 5 starters played college, 4 Div 1!

fbisgreat

I watched the West Memphis and Central game it was a great game.And remember Lee and Cage both played pro ball for a few years.

Ctucker

Didn't all 5 starters on Parkviews team when they had fisher sign with d1 schools

Head Lion

Quote from: fbisgreat on March 12, 2015, 09:37:56 pm
I watched the West Memphis and Central game it was a great game.And remember Lee and Cage both played pro ball for a few years.
Lee was a 2 time AP All American & Cage 1 time with 1 honorable mention in college.

NEark tigers

The 1980 and 1981 WM Blue Devils are the greatest Arkansas High School team of all time. No doubt about it.

cdelaney

Quote from: NEark tigers on March 12, 2015, 10:44:20 pm
The 1980 and 1981 WM Blue Devils are the greatest Arkansas High School team of all time. No doubt about it.
I can agree with NEark on this point 100%.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Head Lion on March 12, 2015, 08:42:20 pm
Off the thread Bdub, but thought you may want to know. Brewers will have chief scout in to watch Brady pitch Sunday. They are telling him, they would like to take him in rounds 3-8.
Awesome. Hope Brady does well.

MikelB

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 13, 2015, 11:17:23 am
Quote from: Head Lion on March 12, 2015, 08:42:20 pm
Awesome. Hope Brady does well.

Jones?

smallybells

This went to a baseball thread already?

Skip Baymore

March 14, 2015, 01:10:10 am #48 Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 01:46:10 am by Skip Baymore
Quote from: FlippinHog on March 12, 2015, 09:27:18 pm

My thoughts too.  Probably the greatest high school basketball team in Arkansas history.   But this years ECS team definitely deserves consideration as being one of the best 3A teams ever.  I don't know who I would put ahead of them.  But there is no team this year from any classification who would come within 25 of that West Memphis team, even the Hall High School team with Portis a few years ago.

Eagle20

Arkansas Baptists 32-3 2009 state champions were pretty salty.  Similar team with 3 really good guards and two really good big men 6'5" and 6'4".  Would be a great game!  Rosebuds 36-0 2008 squad would be another squad that would hold its own with Episcopal.  Wish we could make that happen!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas